APRIL, 2021 / By Ben Wilson
How to Create a Content Plan for Your Website in 2021
The content you have on your website is absolutely crucial to the success of your business but getting it just right can be hard. So, creating a content plan for content creation is essential - it can generate three times more leads, and cost 62% less1 than traditional marketing.
What exactly is a content plan and why is one so important? An online content plan describes who, what, how and when any content is generated and published on your website. Content may consist of text, graphics, audio or video, in any combination, depending on the purpose of the web page.
The plan clarifies:
● Who your audiences are and their needs.
● The messages you want to communicate, and the content required to communicate these messages.
● Timing for the content, such as short, medium and long-term information or any regular or seasonal messages.
● The management of content - who is responsible for doing what?
A really good content plan is so important - it tells your story, provides information, can inspire and motivate and brings your brand to life. It can improve your customer’s experience and search ranking as well as serving as a base for email marketing campaigns and social media platforms. You want to be a step ahead of your competitors and generate a good return on investment, so this could make all the difference.
Before you begin creating a content plan it’s highly recommended to audit your current web pages and performance, to help figure out what is working well and what needs changes to improve results. Then set some goals around your content and what you want it to achieve, whether that may be increased sales, brand awareness or acquiring more customers
Steps for Effective Content Planning
● Clarify Your Target Audience: Work your plan around the people visiting your website, and really understand what they want or need from your business. This should include existing customers and any prospective customers as well. Also consider suppliers and other connections to your business.
● Identify the Messages You Want to Communicate: Brainstorm ideas about what may work for you. Keep in mind any new product launches, company events, and seasonal activities such as public holidays or sports. Ensure your messages are enticing - you want to draw people in and like what they see. Also, make sure your content serves a purpose for your business, whether that is purchasing products, offering a service or providing information.
● Create an Editorial Calendar: Determine who will be responsible for creating and approving each part of the content, when the content is needed and how it will be compiled and published. It’s a good way to provide a visual overview of your content marketing activities to all involved. Use a simple tool like a Google Docs template initially until the process is understood by everyone, then more complex tools may be helpful.
● Choose a website Content Management System (CMS) so you can create, manage and track all your content in one place - our simple, yet intelligent Continuum platform is full of features including reporting, SEO and Google Analytics to track and measure results.
2. Create the Content
● Keep your content relevant to the message and audience. Ensure it is interesting, unique and written well - you want to capture the reader and have them take action.
● Include an encouraging call to action.
● Allow visitors to interactive with your website and provide social connectivity. Make them feel important - perhaps add some unique personal touches or offers to your content.
● Rather than just writing blocks of text, use different types of communication such as images, graphs, PDF documents and videos (keeping in mind you are not violating copyright). Also think about using platforms such as guest posts, forums, podcasts and email subscriptions. The variety will be more interesting but keep it relevant.
● Page layout is important - it can be tedious reading through large chunks of text so use short paragraphs, sub-headings and dot points to break it up. Use consistent graphics, colors and texts to ensure a uniform page.
● Use top keywords or phrases throughout your content to improve your rankings. Include semantic keywords - various words that provide the same meaning. We can assist you with this by providing Search Engine Optimization services that can be built into your CMS.
3. Execution - Publishing the Content
● Complete a thorough review of your content to ensure spelling, grammar and layout are spot on.
● Check any images and videos for quality and consistency.
● Using a 10 second test is a good idea - does the page communicate your messages to the viewer within 10 seconds? Visitors are more likely to do a quick scan first, before deciding whether to read further.
● Is your call to action clear?
● With content at the highest possible standard, you are ready to publish - not only on your main website pages but consider other options such as blog posts and social media.
With years of experience, our team at Web Force 5 provides everything you need for website building, content planning, e-marketing and SEO services. Arrange a free no obligation chat today and start improving your business.